Dairy Free Coconut Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Every weekend Nick makes me goat milk pancakes for breakfast. They're my favorite.
The weekdays are a different story. With a full time job, a farm, and a new baby breakfast is not a big priority. The problem is, I love breakfast and even more than that, I love food. So I set out to create the perfect breakfast cookie. I'm not sure that I succeeded, but what I did create is pretty damn good.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 small carton So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat over to 350° F.
- Place 2 cups oats and the flax seeds in a food processor, pulse until it's formed a powder.
- Stir in cinnamon, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add oil (make sure it's melted), yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla. Having the yogurt at room temperature helps with consistency when combined with the coconut oil.
- Fold in the remaining 1 cup of oats and dark chocolate chips.
- Drop onto cookie sheet like you would any other cookie recipe. I saw a similar recipe dropped their mixture into muffin tins so I'm going to try that next time.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes. If using a muffin tin bake for 15-20 minutes.
Side Note: I made this recipe both with chocolate chips and without. They were delicious either way. The consistency is chewy and quite satisfying. You could also add in nuts, raisins or cranberries, but I didn't because that didn't sound good to me. Your cookies, your choice. Happy Baking!